For some, Standup Paddleboarding (SUP) might sound difficult or something exclusively for experienced athletes. In reality, Standup Paddleboarding is a great activity for beginners and advanced paddlers looking to get a good workout, relax and enjoy nature. For anyone who has thought about trying SUP here are 10 benefits of Standup Paddleboarding!
1. Better Workout Almost every muscle in the body is activated and used during standup Paddleboarding. Arm, leg, back and shoulder muscles are used to propel the paddleboard in the water while leg and core muscles are activated in order to stabilize your center of gravity. Paddleboarding can potentially burn more calories in an hour as compared to other workouts because it combines strength, core and endurance.
2. Improve Overall Health SUP has the ability to positively boost cardiovascular health and wellness. Enjoying the full-body workout and cardio that every SUP session has to offer, naturally decreases your risk of having a heart attack, a stroke or diabetes. Burning calories during SUP allows you to lose unwanted weight while enjoying nature and time alone or with friends.
3. Increase Focus and Balance Standing upright on a paddleboard requires core stability to maintain balance. Paying attention to and cultivating balance will naturally increase our day-to-day focus and mindfulness.
4. Promote Patience and Perseverance Some days Paddleboarding will be harder than others. Beginner and advanced paddlers alike must be patient with and attentive to their bodies and nature. One might wobble or even fall. Getting back up allows us to cultivate patience with ourselves and perseverance on our journey of learning and refining our skill and strength.
5. Reduce overall Stress Being out in nature and gliding through water relaxes the mind and calms the body. It is an amazing way to ease your mind and momentarily put behind all your worries.
6. Experience something New. Every Time: Nature is unpredictable. Some days are sunny with minimal wind, promoting calm and relaxation. Other days might be cloudy, rainy and windy. This means your practice and experience out on the board will differ every time you go out! This is exciting and unique
7. Challenge yourself Paddleboarding is oftentimes challenging. Since there are various elements that constantly change such as wind (strength and direction), sun, temperature, seasons… not to mention yourself, this means that every time you get on the board is an opportunity to experience something new. This deepens your mindfulness practice and allows you to advance your skills.
8. Make Connections: SUP is not only fun but every experience and meet up, whether it be through a class or community Paddleboarding event, brings you closer to other people in your surroundings and allows you to naturally make new friends that share the similar interests.
9. Awesome Yoga Yoga already has a myriad of health and emotional benefits. Combine this with paddle boarding and the benefits will only increase. You will only continue to build core strength, improve your balance and focus all while in a new setting in nature and in water!
10. Connect with Nature Engaging with nature has a positive effect on your health and mental being. Breathing in fresh air, soaking up vitamin D and taking in the beauty of nature while working out is priceless!
Check out www.FlowPaddleYoga.com to book your next class or experience!